- This event has passed.
Top Tomato & Best “Salad Bowl” Contest
June 17 @ 10:30 am - 12:15 pmFREE
Saturday, June 17, 2017
At Milberger’s Nursery
Judging in Two Divisions
- Cherry and Smaller Tomatoes Entries must include a minimum of 6 tomatoes.
- Regular Tomatoes (large/medium) Entries must include a minimum of 3 ‘marketable’ tomatoes
Two prizes awarded in each division
1st Place $75 Milberger’s gift certificate
2nd Place $50 Milberger’s gift certificate
3. Biggest tomato (based on weight) $100 Milberger’s gift certificate
4. Best of Show Grand Champion $ 50 Milberger’s gift certificate in addition to division prize
Criteria for Tomatoes
Stems (calyx) should be left on, approximately 1/2 inch in length, green and fresh. Cherry tomatoes
can still be on the vine. All tomatoes should be uniform in size, color, shape and maturity. Color of maturity and ripeness depends on variety, from green to ripe red. Tomato variety must be specified on the entry form that will be filled out when you arrive at Milberger’s.
Best Salad Bowl
Criteria for Salad Bowls
Stems (calyx) should be left on, approximately 1/2 inch in length, green and fresh.
Basic Rules of Tomato and Salad Bowl Contests
Entries will be accepted between 10:30am – 12n.
- Judging begins at 12:15pm and winners will be announced when judging ends.
- No age limit for contestants.
- No more than one tomato entry per division, per family.
- Tomato and Salad Bowl vegetable entries must be home-grown on plants maintained by contestant. Commercial growers are not eligible.
- Contest is open to residents of Bexar, Atascosa, Medina, Kendall, Comal, Guadalupe and Wilson Counties, and other counties in the KLUP listening area.
Milberger’s Landscape Nursery
in cooperation with theGardening Volunteers of South Texas